Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thing 6 - Comic Creators

Sentence Types

I believe the comic creators I explored including, ToonDoo, Kerpoof, and Five Card Nancy would all lend themselves to potential assignments/projects for my students. Although I used ToonDoos to create my comic, there is inappropriate content that students could run across, so utilizing the subscription ToonDooSpaces that ToonDoos created for educators and students might be the way to go. Kerpoof would require students being aware of the fair use info required.

Students in grades 4-6 would probably be most interested in creating comics. The cartoon I created is an example of an assignment I could give to my 5th graders. They would have to use the four types of sentences: declarative, interrogative, imperative, and exclamatory using correct capitalization and punctuation to create their comic. I can also see students creating comics to show chronological order of events (plot) in a piece of writing. Older students such as 7th grade could take a story with flashbacks and put the events in order using one of the comic creators. Students who recognize the flashback/s would be able to adapt their creation to show chronological order of the events.

What a fun way to engage students in creating stories as well as learning about story elements and sentences!

2 comments:

  1. The biggest obstacle is being able to create student accounts on these various Web 2.0 sites. I like the way VT has things organized, and I wish other sites would likewise create a "classroom" account that would facilitate account creation, and also keep students away from the inappropriate junk that others have created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Makebeliefscomix or Pixton?

    ReplyDelete